When Nicole Dreon had a work contract that took her to France and left her journey open-ended, she decided to follow her heart and go to Africa on a mission to write about female athletes. The way things fell into place once she got there is unbelievable, yet it’s just one of the many examples she shares in this episode about how she has leveraged her passion for travel to find her mission in life. Her experience and passion for travel and inspiring other women to travel has led her to start a company called She Guides, which connects women travelers with local women guides, a scenario where everybody wins. Listen to this episode to hear about Nicole’s journey and mission going forward.
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes
- Click here for a complete list of The Budget Minded Traveler Podcast episodes
- Love what you hear? Please leave me a review on iTunes! Click here for instructions
This post contains affiliate links.
Nicole Dreon is a freelance writer and photographer from Truckee, CA. For over a decade, she has worked in the research department for ESPN and the X Games where she interviews athletes who throw Stripper flips on motorcycles and Kangaroo flips on skis. Each March, she goes to Morocco to cover the French-inspired all women’s Gazelle Rally. She’s written and photographed everything from women boxers in Kampala, Uganda for ESPN W to surfing in Dakar, Senegal for ESPN.com. Recently, Nicole started a company called She Guides that connects solo women travelers with local women guides. Find her on Instagram @nicoledreon.
Episode 40 Show Notes
Links and resources mentioned in this episode:
Two books that changed Nicole’s life:
- Read more about the Rwenzori Mountains in Africa
- Read Nicole’s article about skiing the Rwenzoris – My Obsession to Ski the Vanishing Snowfields of the Rwenzoris
- The Happiness of Pursuit by Chris Guillebeau – About finding the quest that will bring purpose to your life (a very fun read!)
- New Vision – The local Ugandan newspaper that Nicole wrote for briefly
- She Guides – Nicole’s startup that aims to match women travelers with local women guides all over the world, please check it out and keep in mind that if you know an amazing woman who should be part of this program, let Nicole know!
- Check out Nicole’s personal page for more about her – NicoleDreon.com
Thanks again to Nicole for sharing with us!
Give the show some LOVE (please!)
If you love the show and want to see it succeed, please leave a review on iTunes – click here to leave a review, and thanks so much in advance!