In this episode of The Budget Minded Traveler Podcast, I walk you through 7 questions that will help prepare you to choose just the right destination. Don’t go into your trip unprepared or setting yourself up for disappointment, use these tools to make sure choose your destination wisely.
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes
- Click here for complete list of The Budget Minded Traveler Podcast episodes
- Click here for instructions for leaving a review in iTunes
Episode 3 Show Notes
Questions to Research About Your Chosen Destination Country
1. What is the country’s current civil state?
- Check Alerts & Warnings section on the homepage of travel.state.gov
2. How much money will you need?
- Go to LonelyPlanet.com, enter your country in the search bar, and within the overview of that country click on the money & costs link to get an idea of day to day expenses
3. Do you need a visa?
- Check out the Passports page on this website for more info, or go directly to the Americans traveling abroad page on travel.state.gov to look up country specific information about visas
4. Do you need vaccinations?
- Check out the Passports page on this website for more info, or go directly to the drop down list of countries on cdc.gov to look up country specific information about required and recommended vaccinations for your destination country
- Use this link to find a clinic near you where you can get these vaccines administered
- IMPORTANT: Whatever you do, DO NOT LOSE the official vaccination card they give you that proves that you have had the necessary immunizations. Take it with you when you travel, it is as valuable to you as your passport at some border crossings. (I had a very bad experience with this once…)
5. Will it be possible to see and do all you want to see and do in the time you have allotted?
6. Are you prepared for a language barrier?
- If you don’t know what language they speak in _________, Google it. Then pack a phrasebook or get a translation app to help you out!
7. What will the weather really be like where you are headed?