The subject of this episode is relevant for anyone who flies, whether international or across the state. We are all faced with the risk that airlines could lose our luggage or overbook flights, creating difficult situations for travelers.
In his extensive travel experience, Sam Cornthwaite has developed a process to go through that he sticks with every time this happens to him, and he is here to share his secrets.
Find out what you should do and what to expect from an airline that loses your luggage, and learn how to use overbooked flights to your advantage.
Sam Cornthwaite is the founder and executive director of GoodWorks Orphan Care, a team of people passionate about empowering orphans.
He travels to China regularly as they build up their programs in Langfang. He also travels for leisure, visiting cities across the country and globe. You’ll likely find him on a United flight or in his favorite airport lounge.
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes
- Click here for a complete list of The Budget Minded Traveler Podcast episodes
- Love what you hear? Please leave me a review on iTunes! Click here for instructions
Episode 33 Show Notes
What you will hear in this episode:
Our experiences having lost luggage in the past and what we did about it, including whether the results were positive or not.
Tips and strategies to put into place before you fly to give you a better chance of not losing your luggage and getting help and attention if and when something does happen to your luggage.
Sam’s five steps to take as soon as you find out that the airline has misplaced your luggage, and why they are important.
- Get ahold of the airline customer service Stateside.
- Make sure they know you are not happy and that this is an inconvenience to you, but be polite.
- Make sure someone is going to advocate for you.
- Call once a day to check up.
- Once the bag arrives, begin negotiation.
Negotiation is important to start after the bag arrives, so you don’t sell yourself short. Listen for Sam’s tips on what you should expect.
Read the full post about What to Do When You Lose Your Luggage here
Do what you can to say yes when the airline wants to bump someone to another flight – the rewards can be worth the value of your ticket.
Tips for strategizing how to say yes, how to get the most out of it, and what to pay attention to.
Advice about what you should expect when you agree to be bumped.
Links and resources mentioned in this episode:
- Tim Ferriss’ advice about bringing at starter pistol
- 8 Secrets to Finding the Best Deals on Flights (episode 11)
- Sam’s website: GoodWorks Orphan Care
Thanks again to Sam for sharing this invaluable information with us!
Give the show some LOVE (please!)
If you love the show and want to help keep it going, please leave a review in iTunes – click here to leave a review, and thanks in advance!