Join us for part 2 of a conversation with first time solo traveler Anjie Mikesell, who is about to set off for the number one destination on her bucket list: ITALY. In this episode we get into Italy travel tips and itinerary suggestions, along with a plethora of general first time travel resources.
As part of a series featuring people who are making BIG travel plans, we get an idea of what Anjie is planning now, and then we will catch up with her in the future to find out how everything went, what she thought, and what she learned. Click here to listen to her future episode!
Anjie Mikesell grew up in Livingston, Montana. When she was ready to spread her wings and fly, she moved… 25 miles away from that same small town. While she only moved 20 minutes away to Bozeman, she found herself in a place where she had everything that she loved right at her fingertips. She had her family close, a great career, and beautiful mountains full of wide open spaces and trails to explore for days.
However, there was one thing that was missing from her life, and no matter what she did, she could not resist that tug at her heart and the deep need to travel. Anjie is finally pursuing her dream to travel to Italy. She will be heading out on her adventure in April. This trip has been on the top of her bucket list for a number of years and she is so incredibly excited to have the opportunity to pursue her dream.
Listen to Part 1 of this episode where we tackle Anjie’s questions about safety and facing this trip alone: BMT 64: First Time Traveler Safety Tips & Tricks
Listen to Part 3, where we talk about Anjie’s RESULTS from her first solo trip to Italy!
Italy Travel Tips (stuff we talked about!)
- Google Flights – my fave flight search engine
- Cinque Terre permit system – Monterosso – biggest, most options for lodging in Cinque Terre, Santa Margherita and Portofino beautiful nearby towns
- Amalfi Coast – Capri island in the summer, Amalfi, Positano – stay on the southern side
- Trenitalia.com – to search Italian trains
- Megabus – cheap buses between major cities
- Venice – do it in one day
- Florence – the David is a must, Galleria, Uffizzi
- Booking.com – my fave hotel booking site
- Rome Airbnb – where I stayed and loved it in Rome (click here to save $40 with Airbnb!)
- Whatsapp – best international texting app
- Voxer – my fave communication app
- Guide to using your iPhone abroad
- Rome by night
- My book – The Aspiring Traveler’s Handbook: A preparation guide to international travel
- Lonely Planet Thorntree Forum – great resource for anything travel
- 4 Easy Ways to Access Your Money Overseas and BMT 47: How to Access Money Overseas: Debit Cards, Credit Cards, Cash, Exchange Rates and More
- XE Currency
- Duolingo app
- Google Translate app
Related: Resources for First Time Travelers
Give the show some LOVE (please!)
If you love the show and want to see it succeed, please leave a review in iTunes – click here to leave a review (or to read an awesome review from a farmer) and thanks so much in advance!