Mike Sewell is a South African runner on a mission. Tune in today to hear about how he has taken up running long distances (like… REALLY LONG) as way to explore a new country.
In the first half of this episode, we recap Mike’s running expedition on the Carretera Austral, the same 1300km route through Chilean Patagonia that I did by car.
Then in the second half, we get into tips and advice for how to create a running expedition, how to pack for it, what to expect, and more.
Episode 92 Show Notes
This episode is sponsored by BikeTours.com! They offer over 200 bike tours in 40 countries across Europe, including both of the tours I experienced that we talked about in episode 91. There’s a special gift for you in that episode too, so don’t miss it!
Follow BikeToursdotcom on Instagram and check out the affordable and adventurous bike tours they have hand-selected to offer on their website. Listen to my recap of my experience riding a bike 220 miles SOLO across Austria!
- Mike’s Facebook page for Project Patagonia.
- My road trip down the Carretera Austral: use this post to see all the places we talk about in this episode! Listen to this episode to hear my driving buddy Ford and I talk about our experience.
- Mike’s stroller “Harriet the Chariot” carried: a few shirts, multiple pairs of shoes, spare tubes, spare tires, toolsets, repair kits, food (lots of pasta and junk food!), lightweight tent, and camping gear.
- Budget: $1,000 for Thule stroller and gear, $100 to ship overseas, less than $20/day on the road.
- Dave Chamberlain’s Hug Run: Mike’s inspiration.
Long Road to Comrades Facebook page: Mike’s May/June 2018 expedition.
- Mike’s advice: JUST GO DO IT! Make sure you are prepared for the weather (rain, etc.), but there’s not much else to it. Consider having it supported so you can document it.
Please show your support!
You can do so in many ways:
- Please leave a review in iTunes – click here to leave a review and thanks so much in advance!
- Be sure to subscribe
- Tell your friends about it!
- Follow me on IG and tell me how much you love the show @travelingjackie