The Working Holiday Visa option in New Zealand is an incredible opportunity for travelers under 30 years old to work and spend a significant amount of time in the country.
In an interview with Katie Wert, who took a break from college to travel the world and figure out her life, we find out the details around securing a New Zealand Working Holiday Visa. Katie describes the application process, what to expect, and how to find work, a car, and a place to live after you are approved for the visa.
Katie Wert is a 23-year old college student from Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania. In 2013 she decided to quit school, buy an RTW ticket, and start making some big shifts in her life. Now, a year later, she has seen parts of the world she never dreamed she would, and she’s learned more about herself and others than she ever thought possible. She is currently back in Pennsylvania finishing her undergraduate degree in biology and plans to attend the National College of Natural Medicine in Portland, Oregon after she graduates.
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes
- Click here for complete list of The Budget Minded Traveler Podcast episodes
- Love what you hear? Please leave me a review in iTunes! Click here for instructions
Episode 19 Show Notes
What You Will Hear in This Episode
Resources and tips for securing a Working Holiday Visa in New Zealand including:
- How and where to apply
- What the visa provides for a traveler
- How to find a job with the visa
- Options for different types of employment
- What to expect in wages and cost of living
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- REI – where Katie got her Osprey 65L backpack
- Information for Americans wanting to apply for the New Zealand Working Holiday Visa
- Helpx – volunteering in exchange for room and board (similar to Workaway)
- Trademe.co.nz – like Craigslist for finding jobs, etc.
- Gumtree.co.nz – like Craigslist for finding jobs, etc.
- Backpackerboard.co.nz – like Craigslist for finding jobs, apartments, etc.
Thank you, Katie!
Thanks again to Katie for taking the time to share all this great information with us!
Help out the Show!
If you like what you hear, please leave a review for the show in iTunes, it helps more than you realize, and thank you in advance!
Explore more New Zealand content:
- How to Prepare for a New Zealand Working Holiday
- Travel New Zealand By Bus: Everything You Need to Know
Things to do in New Zealand:
- 6 Cheap or Free Things to Do in New Zealand
- 5 Best Day Hikes in New Zealand + Helpful Hiking Tips
- Things to Do In Queenstown for the Less Adventurous
- Wanaka, New Zealand City Guide
- New Zealand: Christchurch City Guide